Sunday, August 12, 2007

Brunch

Today has been the best day ever.

This morning, about 8 of us PCVs met up at one of the volunteer’s apartments who lives in Thies. She has an incredible place. A beautiful, breezy roof terrace, full kitchen, a real bedroom and a bathroom, the works. We spent the better half of the day cooking, sipping mimosas, dancing to music, dreading hair, laughing, and talking. It felt so normal, and so good to be so decadent and indulgent. And it really was.

We made vegan pancakes and smothered them with peanut butter, bananas, and chocolate spread and put them on a huge plate and sat around Senegalese style, eating with our hands. Then we moved on to the veggies, potatoes and egg course (all cooked over a gas tank mind you), and then feasted on fruit salad, yogurt, and topped it off with horchata.

But the part that was the most fun was realizing how easy it is to spoil ourselves now. I mean, eating pancakes and pb with your hands probably isn’t most people’s idea of a delicacy, but boy was it ever!

Then I went to a hotel pool for some sun and pool time and wireless internet. It started to rain so it’s cooling off. And then a few of us are meeting up for dinner in a bit.
Who ever said Peace Corps volunteers never get time off!

2 comments:

Tessa said...

Hey lady....I just read your blog after finding it on the Idy Alum Update.....I just wanted to tell you how proud I am of you. I sit at a desk looking at the San Francisco skyline, not helping anyone except myself, and I cry when I read your words because I want to be there, do something. I wanted so badly to go to the Peace Corps a few years ago, but I couldn't do it cause I didn't go to college. Anyway, I am proud to the deepest part of my heart. I love you.

Caitlin said...

Aw Tessa! How wonderful to hear from you. And thank you so much for your kind words. I was so surprised to see that my blog information was posted on the Idy alum page. I didn't even submit it! I am jealous of your view of the SF skyline, but I will be back there soon enough. Please write if you ever have the chance!